Beirut Bombing Disappears From the Media – “Just Another Terror Bombing” in Lebanon – Real Terrorist Bombing Compared to the Alleged Fakery at the Batalan Theater One Day Later: Beirut, Lebanon Terror Bombing on November 12, 2015 – 41 Killed and Over 200 Injured – Three Objectives of the Bombing in Beirut: Destabilize the Government of Lebanon; Set Hezbollah (Shiite) Against Sunni; Sabotage Hezbollah’s Support and Fighting in Syria – Hezbollah and the Syrian Arab Army Fighting Together in Syria
In the news article published below on the pair of bombings in Beirut that took place on November 12, 2015, Al Jazeera were quick to claim that seven Syrian nationals were complicit in the bombings. Are we expected to believe that the news media, including Al Jazeera, already knew of Syrian involvement only a couple of days after the bombings? What investigation or law enforcement agency in Lebanon was Al Jazeera connected to, that they were able to learn so quickly of seven Syrians being involved in the bombings? Al Jazeera, headquartered in Qatar, is a BBC propaganda arm in the region. When Al Jazeera started up in 1996 with Qatari financing, 250 journalists migrated to Al Jazeera from the BBC.
Within a day or two after the bombings, western media sources – including CNN, BBC, MSNBC, Fox News, and ABC News – all ran the same story that seven Syrians who were responsible for the bombings were captured by the Lebanese government. Yet, no names were released of the Syrians, no images of the alleged perpetrators, and no other information was made available to provide proof that Syrians were actually involved in these bombings in Beirut. Based on these sketchy media claims, the public was expected to conclude that Syrians were indeed involved in the terrorist bombings, without further consideration whether the claims were true.
Since Lebanon-based militant resistance group Hezbollah are in Syria fighting alongside the Syrian Arab Army (SAA), pounding ISIS mercenaries coming out of Turkey and Jordan, would the media’s blaming Syrians for the Beirut bombings risk compromising the relationship between Hezbollah fighters in Syria and the government of Syria? Within the major corporate news sources in the US and the UK, it’s unsurprising to find an intimate relationship among the media, the military, and intelligence agencies; these connections should already be obvious to any alert observer.
“The bombings in a busy residential and commercial area that is a stronghold for Lebanese Shiite movement Hezbollah were claimed by the Islamic State (IS) militant group, which has also claimed the coordinated Paris attacks.”
Lebanon arrests nine over deadly Beirut bombings
Seven Syrians and two Lebanese detained for allegedly planning deadly explosions and smuggling attackers into country.
15 Nov 2015
Lebanese security forces have arrested nine people, most of them Syrian nationals, over their alleged involvement in last week’s twin bombings in Beirut that killed at least 44 people, the interior minister said.
“Until now the detained include seven Syrians and two Lebanese – one of them a [would-be] suicide bomber and the other a trafficker who smuggled them across the border from Syria,” Interior Minister Nuhad Mashnuq said at a televised press conference on Sunday.
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group claimed responsibility for the attacks last Thursday, which hit a busy shopping street in Burj al-Barajneh.
“The whole suicide bombing network and its supporters were arrested in the 48 hours following the explosion,” Mashnuq said.
He said the Syrians were detained in a Palestinian refugee camp located in Burj al-Barajneh and a flat in the capital’s eastern district of Ashrafieh that had been used to prepare the explosive belts.
The initial plan was apparently to send five suicide bombers to a hospital in the neighbourhood, he said, but heavy security forced them to change the target to a densely populated area.
Beirut-based political analyst Ali Rizk told Al Jazeera that the bombings signal a shift in ISIL’s tactics.
In the past month, ISIL has claimed responsibility for downing a Russian plane and killing all 224 people on board, the Beirut bombings and the recent Paris attacks in which at least 129 people lost their lives.
Day of mourning in Lebanon after deadly Beirut bombings
“The group is transforming itself into a purely terror organisation in light of its losses on the ground in Iraq and Syria,” Rizk said.
“The Beirut bombing is also an indication that the idea of Islamic caliphate, as envisioned by ISIL, is facing major reality checks, and is failing apart,” he added, explaining that the attacks on foreign lands are because the group is failing to maintain power in its previous strongholds in Syria and Iraq.
Ali Meqdad, a member of the Lebanese parliament with close ties to Hezbollah, told Al Jazeera that “ISIL is waging an open war against Muslim and European societies in the Middle East and Europe”.
“Those killed in the Beirut bombing, many of whom were children and the elderly, have paid an unnecessary price,” Meqdad said.
“ISIL is engaged in terrorism only to defame the good name of Islam and it is serving only those who wish to keep Islam stigmatised by the terrorism label.”
Beirut’s Explosion: The Sunni-Shia Bellum Sanctum Returns to Hezbollah’s Security Zone
Burj al-Barajneh Palestinian camp, Beirut
As families assemble to claim their departed loved ones in this observer’s south Beirut neighborhood of Haret Hreik, there have been at least 45 confirmed deaths. Nearly 250 people have been wounded, many seriously, and are being treated at the three Shia run hospitals, Al-Sahel, Bahman and Al-Rassoul Al-Aazam. All are victims of the 6 p.m. rush hour terrorist bombings in Hezbollah’s security zone on 11/12/2015 that targeted civilians shopping at street markets or gathering at the local husseiniyeh (a congregation hall named in honor of the revered first Shia Imam Hussein ibn Ali) for the fourth of the five daily prayers, Salat al-Magrib, held in early evening, just after sunset.
At dawns first light on 11/13/2015, this observer returned to Ain al-Sikkeh street near the Burj al Barajneh Palestinian camp and was briefed by Hezbollah security officials and other eye-witnesses. There were reportedly 4 young male suicide bombers involved. Each wore a vest packed with approximately 20 kilos of high explosives, including ball bearings, nails, screws, and bolts to produce maximum deadly shrapnel. One security source claimed that the plastic explosive C-4 was used and the terrorist employed a battery as a detonator. If true, this would seem to indicate a well-planned operation by a major sponsor from the escalating proxy war next door in Syria, due to the difficulty of locals coming up with C-4, even in Lebanon, these days.
One of the 4 suicide bombers, one reportedly got cold feet, which is common in about 10% of these kinds of events, according to a military source. The young man died when his partner evidently sensed his failing courage and detonated his own explosive vest. He was killed by the blast, but his own explosive vest did not detonate from the concussion and will surely be studied as forensic evidence. One of the 4 fled the scene, according to army guys at the checkpoint near the Burj al-Barajneh Palestinian camp who had heard someone shout: “He fled back into Burj.” This has not been verified, but the search has been beefed up since this morning.
The bombings were the first in Hezbollah’s security zone for more than a year. Between July 2013 and February 2014, there were nine attacks on Hezbollah bastions, most claimed by jihadist extremists; six of them were in this observer’s neighborhood. In every case the perpetrators claimed the attacks were in response for Hezbollah’s decision to send thousands of fighters into neighboring Syria in support of forces pitted against the now Islamist-dominated uprising.
The extremist Islamic State (ISIS/Da’ish) group has claimed responsibility for yesterday’s attack, issuing a statement within two hours of the bombings: “Soldiers of the Caliphate detonated explosives planted on a motorbike in an area frequented by Rafida (Shiites) after the apostates gathered in the area, one of the knights of martyrdom detonated his explosive belt in the midst of them.” IS subsequently issued another statement identifying three of the attackers as two Palestinians and a Syrian. More than 2000 Palestinians from Yarmouk camp, as well as Syrian refugees from that country’s nearly five year-long war, have moved in desperation into the Burj al-Barajneh camp.
One commander was quoted in Beirut’s Daily Star this morning as shouting to his men during the chaos: “I want men at every entrance of the camps (Burj al Barajneh and Shatila). You will stand in front of the entrance and fire in the air. I want them to be afraid”.
“The only way they could have done this is if they came from that camp,” one of the security gunmen also told The Daily Star. “We will seal it. We are out for blood and we will get it.” He claimed that the suicide bombers had made their way from the Palestinian camp and headed on foot toward the husseiniyeh before detonating themselves on its doorstep.
Several hotheads, both Sunni and Shia, have threatened this morning to inflame the current bellum sacrum (religious war) which continues to spread in this region. Some Shia young men were overheard arguing with their commander as he rejected their calls to attack the Palestinian camps of Burj al Barajneh and Shatila. Some Sunnis from Beirut have been posting social media taunts, a number of which have appeared on the Narhanet news outlet, asking what took Da’ish so long to bring the fight to Hezbollah, adding that it’s about time.
It appears fairly clear that Da’ish, which has many mothers, is here to stay. The global powers involved in the conflict have increasingly come to believe that air strikes and modest troops on the ground will not defeat the so-called Caliphate. The war in Syria is now a proxy war of attrition and over the long haul, numbers have historically been determinative in deciding the outcome of such conflicts. ISIS and other terrorist groups continue to swell their ranks while their adversaries are face severe troop depletion and dwindling resources.
Hezbollah is taking heavy casualties and their supporters are not happy to lose their sons. And to a lesser but still unacceptable degree, it is the same in Iran. Iran cannot continue to pour money into this war of attrition and the lifting of international sanctions will take at least two years to positively impact their treasury.
Russia is fast learning that they have miscalculated what they could achieve with their imprecise but intense bombing campaign. [This statement isn’t entirely correct. Russia has completely destroyed roughly 1,000 oil tanker lorries with pinpoint accuracy transshipping stolen oil out of Iraq and Syria into Turkey.] The EU urgently needs an end to the immigrant tsunami and the GCC countries are beginning to face blow-back for their roles in the conflict over the past several years. The American public is exhausted by a decade of misguided and criminal wars in their name that have ruined their country’s reputation under the banner of “humanitarian values” and have cost them trillions of much-needed dollars that would be much better spent rebuilding their own country and tackling its own serious and growing domestic problems. The Obama administration appears deeply fractured over what to do anymore in Syria and Iraq.
The Palestinians are frankly in one hell of a mess in Lebanon and Syria for all the old reasons and now more so, after being caught up in a Sunni-Shia religious war that could last for centuries.
Few people (certainly not this observer) believe that this weekend’s international talks will end with a plan to end Syria’s civil war, [This has been falsely claimed as a “civil war” when nothing could be further from the actual very complex circumstances of this conflict. It is more of an international criminal conspiracy to destroy then balkanize Syria which just may end up turning out to be a much larger war in the region.] partly because the 17 countries and three international bodies (The Arab League, Britain, China, Egypt, the European Union, France, Germany, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the UAE and the United Nations) are deeply divided over the fate of Syrian President Bashar Assad. The stated aim of this latest conflab is to agree on a structure for political transition and on which of the factions, the Syrian government and various rebel and opposition factions, will take part in this transitional body. However, none of these groups will be attending the conference itself. According to a leaked version of the latest Russian draft proposal, Moscow wants her ally President Assad to stay in office during an 18-month period. This is a non-starter for Washington and its 7 allies.
As John Kerry left for Vienna yesterday he commented: “The walls of mistrust within Syria, within the region, and within the international community, are thick and they are high.”
Meanwhile, much-anticipated in some quarters, the arrival of Da’ish into Hezbollah’s security zone in south Beirut threatens to suck the current 270,000 Palestinians in Lebanon into the Syrian maelstrom.
Franklin Lamb is a visiting Professor of International Law at the Faculty of Law, Damascus University and volunteers with the Sabra-Shatila Scholarship Program (sssp-lb.com).